old location of the village was at «Palaioxoria»,
where all the houses were built on ground
level, had earthen floors, no window shutters
and the wooden roof was covered with flat
stones. In the yard there used to be a
hen-coop, a stable for the animals and
a small kitchen garden.
After 1829 the village changed its location
to the present day location. From then
on, most of the houses were two-floored,
stone-made, with wooden roofs covered
with flat stones.
On the ground floor («Katoe»),
there used to be the storehouse and the
stable. On the upper floor («Anogi»)
there were usually two main rooms: one
was used as a kitchen and sitting-room,
where also the elders used to sleep, and
the other as the living-room and at night
the bedroom for the couple and the children.
smaller room (named the «mesadra»)
was used in order to store the clothing.
In the yard there was usually a hen-coop,
a stable for the animals and a small kitchen
garden, as well as a barn where they stored
the animals’ fodder. In 1940 Elatou
had 100 houses built in this traditional
After 1950 the flat stone roofs were progressively
replaced by tile roofs and today most
of the houses have tile roofs.