1059 – 1069 Huns of Serbian origin
invaded Oreini Naupaktia . Such people
also settled in Elatou, where they worked
as sheperds. The name «Eletsou»
was given to the village by the
Slavs and it means «sunny».
Many other locations around the village
also have Slavic origin. Even when many
of the Slavs left, the names remained.
During the Venetian rule, Oreini Naupaktia
was subjected to them, but because it
was difficult to access the specific area
and because the villagers were insubordinate
it was never occupied by the military.
In 1499 Aitolia was occupied by the Turks.
From 1687 till 1699 fell under the rule
of Venetians again, and for this period
Oreini Naupaktia was considered almost
free, as Venetians did not bother the
inhabitants. After 1699 with the Karlovitz
treaty the wide area – where Eletsou
belonged – was given to the Turks.
In 1820 the village was burned by Turkish-Albans
who came to Oreini Naupaktia after being
chased out of Naupaktos. At that time
there were 20 families in the village,
who found shelter in a cave outside the
village named «Arkoudotripes»
(Bear holes). After the burning 17 families
remained in the village and decided to
rebuild it in its present location, since
the ground of the area is more solid from
that of «Palioxoria»
(the old location of the village).
In 1828 Oreini Naupaktia was set free
from the Turks.
In 1833 Eletsou became part of Municipality
of Apodotia in the province of Naupaktos.
Since almost all the area villages had
Slavic names from the time the Slavs had
settled there, all the villages were renamed
(from 1921 till 1928) and Eletsou was
given the name Elatou, due to its fir
tree forests(since «elato»
Today Elatou belongs to Municipality of
Apodotia with Ano-Hora its base.